Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Argentine Friend

I've determined that Argentines have the biggest hearts.

While working at the high school this week, I was in charge of assembling some "easy-to-assemble" cabinets to store some office supplies. As it turns out, these "easy-to-assemble" cabinets were not so easy to assemble. I'm no stranger to putting furniture together from a box, but I was struggling big time!

Well the school hires a janitorial service to come in and clean and it just so happened that as I was worrying about that dang blasted cabinet, the janitors (An Argentine man and his teenage son) were cleaning the school. The man, named Marcelo, came up to me and offered to help. Together, we figured out how to complete the cabinet. It took us almost three hours! I still had one cabinet to go, but Marcelo and his son had to get on to their next cleaning appointment.

Marcelo volunteered to come back the next morning and help me put together the remaining cabinet. I told him I was sure I could find someone else (like the science teacher) to come help me since he lives in Eagle Mountain (about 25 minutes away), but he insisted. I wasn't going to turn down some much needed help, so I agreed.

I brought him some cookies the next day, but I will never cease to be amazed at how charitable that man is. After we put together the second cabinet, he helped me move some furniture and as he left, he gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him if I needed any help moving something heavy or building anything else. What a nice man! And what a true example of Christ!

1 comment:

kelzone said...

hey i had no idea you have a blog! if you don't mind i will put a link from my blog to yours! hope all is well, peace and love